Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Genius Gym: When Pigs Fly!

As I sit here and begin this 1st blog post, I am thinking that I have no idea what I am doing, but I do know why I am doing it.
Here are a few of my my "whys".
"Why" #1:
  • There is panic among our leaders over how our country ranks among other countries in the world in the area of achievement. (And we ALL know that panic leads to the best decisions... right?) This "concern" has led to a large focus on achievement. I agree that focusing on achievement is important, however, the bulk of our focus has been on the bottom 25%. You have seen it. I have seen it. Much of the funding, personnel, time, and attention are given to students not meeting the standards. Furthermore, RTI meetings, data digs, and professional development are often geared more toward students who are struggling. I am a firm believer that those students deserve and need our focus, but what about the other 75%? What about the top 25%? I believe our top 25% are at risk as well and something must be done. Our highest achievers (some of whom help earn that Title I funding, by the way) in some cases have become the children who are "left behind". No... some of them are not behind in their academic grades, but they ARE behind in reaching their fullest potential. I have always said, "Just because a gifted student can educate themselves, it does not mean they ought to be doing so."
"Why" #2:
  • Teachers need support! I know this, because I have lived this. How is a teacher who is given a homeroom with abilities ranging from far below grade level to far above grade level supposed to effectively meet the needs of everyone. I know.. I know... DIFFERENTIATION! 😃 That will certainly solve every teacher's problems! I have worked with the best of the best, the most caring and hardworking people on the planet, and this is still a struggle. We all know that what "differentiation" sometimes translates into for high achievers is "more work". These kids are smart enough to see it and are crafty enough to do whatever they can to avoid it. We often hear our leaders say we need to "work smarter, not harder". Well... what about students? How can teachers help high achieving students to "work smarter"? My goal is to help teachers figure out what that looks like for their students. I desperately want to hold up the arms of my colleagues who feel pulled in too many directions, who care more about their students than test scores, and who, although they are exhausted, NEVER give up the fight. I hope what I share on this blog about my adventures will be an encouragement and support to them.
"Why" #3
  •  My final "why" goes back to the title of this post: "When Pigs Fly!". In my years as an educator trying to provide a "gifted education" experience for all students, I have always wished I could just set up a live feed camera in my classroom. You know... like the "eagle cam" or the "panda cam". I'm not sure what I'd call it... perhaps the "Genius Cam". I have wanted to do this because the things that happen on a daily basis are simply amazing, unexpected, and quite honestly unbelievable (kind of like if you saw a flying pig in the sky). I want to share as much of what goes on within the walls of our classroom as possible. I will share the beautiful, turbulence-free flights as well as the "crashes and burns" (we have plenty of both). These "geniuses" of mine are truly incredible and I am forever proud of their growth every day. I hope many will enjoy and be inspired by them as well.
In closing, I have a sign hanging outside my classroom door for all to see. It says, "When Pigs Fly". Students (especially the new ones) will often ask why that sign is there, and I always say that it is because we think about, attempt, and accomplish things in Genius Gym that most people think kids your age couldn't possibly do. It is a reminder to them that I will expect them to dream big, to attempt what is uncomfortable, and to not let fear of what may be considered "impossible" to keep them from blowing right past their potential. I hope that it is a mentality that they embrace and will carry them as they continue to soar in the future!

Happy flying!
The Head Genius


No comments:

Post a Comment